Friday, February 20, 2009

It has happened.





After rummaging through a blog I ran across last night-a cartoon modern site that celebrates all of the fantastic art of the 50's UPA style and others influenced by it-I found my way. Finally.

I noticed the simplicity of design within the characters. Many are seemingly based on solid shapes that make up the entire character. It's an excellent way to think of character design...as if a shape was laid down and a character was derived from it. This makes the character so much more self contained as opposed to a head with arms and legs...a bunch of different parts that are almost designed separately to make up a whole. This is perfect for what I want to do. I think it will make the animation much more efficient and deliberate. And, I've always been a huge fan of this type of stuff just never thought to draw inspiration from it. Silly. I'm pretty happy about nailing this guy.

Onward.

No comments: